Dr. Chao with the Lord
January 06, 2011
Rev. Dr. Charles Chao (DD, '05) died on December 16, 2010. He was 94 years old.
From Rev. Dr. Jeff Jue: "It is with both sadness and great hope in the resurrection that I write to inform you that Dr. Charles Chao was called home to his Lord on December 16, 2010. He was 94 years old. Dr. Chao was ordained in the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, and founded Reformation Translation Fellowship, an organization dedicated to translating Reformed literature into Chinese. He is also the father of the late Jonathan Chao. In 2005 he was awarded an honorary doctorate from Westminster Theological Seminary. We give thanks to the Lord for His faithful servant. Please continue to pray for Mrs. Chao and the rest of the Chao Family."
A memorial service will be held in Southern California on January 8, 2011. Please join with President Lillback and the Westminster community as we mourn the loss of this brother.
From the description of his autobiography, Out of the Tiger's Mouth:
Born in 1916, Charles Chao is, in the words of Dr. Loraine Boettner, "a man of God—with untiring devotion." His life's work has been for China. Despite persecution from Chinese communists, narrow escapes from prison and death, Charles Chao has not ceased to translate major Christian works for his fellow countrymen.
A select list of books translated into Chinese by Charles Chao:
- The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, Loraine Boettner (reprinted 1970, 1975, 1980)
- Calvin as a Theologian and Calvinism Today, B. B. Warfield (reprinted 1967, 1984)
- The Real Meaning of the Reformation, J. G. Vos
- God Spake By Moses, Oswald T. Allis
- The Visible Church, J. G. Vos (reprinted, 1972)
- Why I Believe in God, Cornelius van Til (reprinted 1965, 1975, 1985)
- The Prodigal Son, A. W. Pink
- Revival Year Sermons, Charles H. Spurgeon
- The Westminster Confession of Faith (reprinted 1972, 1981)
- Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, J. I. Packer (reprinted 1972, 1987)
- Commentary on Romans, John Calvin (reprinted 1978)
- World Contemporary Theology, Harvie M. Conn (reprinted 1979)
- Westminster Shorter Catechism (reprinted 1978, 1982)
- What is Original Sin?, J. G. Machen
- The Bible Tells Us So, R. B. Kuiper
- John Calvin's Devotions and Prayers
- The History of Christian Doctrine, Louis Berkhof
- Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life, John Calvin
- In the Beginning, E. J. Young
- Our Reasonable Faith, Herman Bavinck
Books Written by Dr. Chao for Chinese Readers
- 1967: A Bird's Eye View Study of the Bible (reprinted 1981)
- 1972: Christian Fundamentals and Modern Theological Thought (reprinted 1979)
- 1983: His Grace Abounding (Charles Chao's Autobiography)
- 1983: A New Practical Dictionary of Theological Terms