2012: A Year in Review
January 04, 2013
With the close of 2012 rapidly approaching, we take a look back to see all that has happened.
In the midst of financial diffuculties that resulted in a reduction of staff at the beginning of the year, the Lord has still blessed Westminster in a myriad of ways. From faculty books, to on-campus events, to graduating students leaving and new students arriving, 2012 was a year full of reminders of the many ways God has used Westminster, and how God continues to bless its efforts.
See below for a recap of some of the highlights of 2012 at Westminster.
Some Highlights from 2012
Several faculty members published new books:
- Rev. Dr. Carl Trueman, Fools Rush in Where Monkeys Fear to Tread; and The Creedal Imperative
- Rev. Dr. Vern Poythress, Inerrancy and Worldview; and Inerrancy and the Gospels
- Rev. Dr. David B. Garner (ed.), Did God Really Say?
- Rev. Dr. Gregory Beale, Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
- Rev. Dr. Richard B. Gaffin, Jr. (translator), Adam in the New Testament; and (contributor), Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views
- Rev. Dr. Timothy Z. Witmer, The Shepherd Leader at Home
- CCEF Faculty, Heart of the Matter.
- Elizabeth Groves, Becoming a Widow (Minibook)
Westminster hosted and sponsored several conferences and special guests:
- March 14: Dr. D. A. Carson spoke at the annual Gaffin Lecture on Theology Culture and Missions.
- April 14: The Third Annual Conference on Science and Faith, "Science, Human Origins, and Human Dignity."
- May 24: 83rd Commencement featuring honorary doctorate recipients Drs. J. I. Packer, R. C. Sproul, and John Templeton.
- June 1 and 2: The third annual Business Ethics Conference, jointly hosted with the Center for Christian Business Ethics, discussing the topic of the 9th commandment: Lying.
- June 28 to 30: Westminster, in partnership with Stephen Tong Ministries International, hosted a conference in Hong Kong, The Gospel and Common Grace.
- Throughout the Fall: Every Friday, a Westminster faculty member led a Bible study at the Union League of Philadelphia.
- September 12: Fall Convocation service with message by Rev. Nam Joon Kim.
- October 23 and 24: Rev. Dr. Philip Graham Ryken was the keynote speaker at our annual Preaching Conference.
- November 24: Rev. Dr. Lane Tipton was inaugurated as the Krahe Chair of Systematic Theology.
In addition to the events sponsored or hosted by Westminster, our faculty were again involved in numerous events, conferences, and forums throughout the country and world. Drs. Poythress, Trueman, and Beale, as well as two students participated in the annual ETS meeting. Dr. Oliphint visited Jakarta, Indonesia, to teach and preach for a week at the beginning of the year. Dr. Lillback visited multiple countries across the globe, including South Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Spain, and Brazil. Dr. Trueman participated in the Together for the Gospel national conference, spoke at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary Gheens Lectures, and represented Aurelius Augustine in a debate at the Saints and Skeptics event.
There were many other highlights throughout the year. Dr. Edgar, professor of apologetics, received an honorary doctorate from Faculté Jean Calvin (or, the John Calvin Reformed Seminary) in Aix-en-Provence, France. An alumnus, Rev. Dr. Barry Waugh (MAR '80, MDiv '81, PhD '02), published a collection of letters from Dr. J. Gresham Machen's time serving in World War I (Letters from the Front, available at the bookstore). In May, we published a new issue of Westminster Today on Westminster's partnership with Asia through its alumni. Also, Westminster re-launched the teaching ministry Power of the Word. Starting in the Fall, Westminster's Chief Administrative Officer, Steven Carter, began writing a monthly series on some of Westminster's distinctives, starting with Van Tillian Apologetics.
Looking Ahead to 2013
James 4:13-16 reminds us that it is only by God's will that we have tomorrow. So in relying upon God's providence for our seminary, we have much to look forward to in the coming year (more details will be provided closer to the dates):
- February 6: Convocation featuring Rev. Rob Edwards.
- March 13: Sixth annual Gaffin Lecture on Theology, Culture, and Missions with guest speaker Dr. David Wells.
- March 20: Inauguration of Dr. Carl Trueman as first occupant of the Paul Woolley Chair of Church History.
- April 5 and 6: Fourth Annual Conference on Science and Faith featuring Dr. John Lennox. This year's conference will be held at Covenant Fellowship Church in Glen Mills, PA.
- May 23: The 84th Commencement featuring Rev. Ren Broekhuizen as the commencement speaker and Rev. Paul Settle as the seminar speaker.
- October 22 and 23: Annual Preaching Conference, speaker TBA.
Please join with us in prayer that God would bless our work, and that He would continue to equip us to proclaim the whole counsel of God throughout a changing world.