Student Profile: David Fernandez

David (Davey) Fernandez is planning to graduate from Westminster in May, 2021. Born in Manhattan, Davey grew up in the Bronx. After graduation, he plans to work in biblical counseling.

Tell us a little bit about yourself. How did you come to faith in Christ?

I was born in Manhattan, NY but raised in the Bronx. I am of Puerto-Rican and Dominican descent. I enjoy coffee shops, watching films, buying sneakers and reading. I’m a member of Christ Presbyterian Church under the leadership of Iain and Barbara Duguid.

My mother was an active attendee in a small Pentecostal church in the Bronx called Love Gospel Assembly. It was there that I realized my need for Christ as a child.

What are some books that have had the biggest impact on you, and why?

One of the books that had the biggest impact on me was William Gurnall’s, The Christian in Complete Armor. Gurnall expounds upon the warrior motif in Scripture very eloquently and beautifully. His understanding of Christ’s power, provision and presence in the struggle of temptation and trial enabled me to fight sin with renewed vigor. I can remember many times being stirred to pray and to embrace and plead the promises of God. The second book the Lord used in my life was Dr. Garry Friesen’s Decision Making and the Will of God. That book changed my perspective on some things I was taught in my adolescence and early twenties.

How did you decide to come to Westminster, and what did you plan to do with your degree?

I worked in ministry in Colorado Springs, Colorado for a few years before coming to Westminster. I had the ministry experience under my belt, but not the solid theology that should undergird your ministry. I had a heart of compassion, but not a theological backbone of steel. Over time I realized the necessity of having a good theological education. A dear friend and alumnus, Patrick Kucharski, encouraged me to visit WTS. I had lunch with Dr. and Mrs. Vern Poythress during Prospective Student Day. That lunch and conversation convinced me I needed to come.

Are you working while you study, or involved in any ministries?

I am working while I study here. I work as the Advancement Relationship Specialist at Westminster Seminary. My primary ministry is connecting with our financial partners and ensuring that they know the value and impact they are having on Westminster and the body of Christ. I am also hoping to start an internship with Harvest USA next year.

What is your primary area of interest in your studies at Westminster? Why?

My primary interest is counseling. I’m fascinated by how Christ changes people and how Scripture applies in people’s different circumstances, struggles, and sufferings.

What are some particular challenges in your ministry or field of work that you are looking to Westminster to help you prepare for?

Westminster provides the tools to help be a better minister of the Word in both private and public arenas. I’m looking to Westminster to help me be a better steward of God’s Word. While I don’t sense a summons to public proclamation, I am intrigued by pastoral care. Ministry is people-oriented, and I am looking to the seminary to help me connect the profound truths of the Scriptures to street level struggles.

How can the Westminster community pray for you, your family and your ministry in the weeks and months ahead?

Balancing school and work can be challenging. Pray for the Lord to continue to grant discipline, focus and joy in both school and work. Pray that what a study will foster humility and dependence upon Christ and a deeper love for his people.