“The church is not the creator of the truth but serves to support and exhibit the truth.” –Ned B. Stonehouse
We are pleased to announce the unveiling of the Ned B. Stonehouse Collection, located on the top floor of the Montgomery Library at Westminster Theological Seminary. After many years, the gracious donation of the personal library of former New Testament professor (1937–1962), Ned B. Stonehouse, has been fully catalogued in the Stonehouse Room.
Ned B. Stonehouse (1902–1962) received his Bachelor of Theology and Master of Theology at Princeton Theological Seminary, learning under Westminster founders J. Gresham Machen and Robert D. Wilson. Shortly after the establishment of Westminster Theological Seminary in 1929, Stonehouse joined Machen in the New Testament department at the newly founded seminary. In his New Testament courses, Stonehouse emphasized a redemptive-historical hermeneutic approach to Scripture, first taught to him during his time at Princeton by Geerhardus Vos. Stonehouse enjoyed a close relationship with Machen and would later author his biography, a book that continues to be celebrated to this day. In addition to his contribution to Westminster, Stonehouse was also a constituting member of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church upon its foundation in 1936.
As we reflect on Stonehouse’s contribution to our rich gospel heritage, we would also like to thank Deanna Klein, Library Technical Services Assistant, and Donna Campbell, Technical Services & Systems Librarian, who made this collection possible. We invite you to come browse the collection displayed in fantastic baroque bookcases!