Westminster Student Health Insurance: Policy, Options and International Student Coverage Requirements
(updated June 2015)
All full-time students and students on international student visa are required to have health insurance.
As stated in the 2015-16 academic catalog: "All full-time students are required to have health care coverage. International students on a J-1 or F-1 visa, in addition to the medical benefits required for all students, are also required to have Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains (MERR) coverage."
Options for Health Insurance
- Parent’s insurance plan. Students under the age of 26 are eligible to remain on a parent’s insurance plan according to federal law.
- Insurance carrier sites, such as Independence Blue Cross, Aetna, and United Healthcare. See also Good Neighbor Health Insurance; click "See Contracted Schools" in left sidebar and then one of the links under the WTS logo on the following page.
- Independent insurance broker. Students may wish to contact an insurance broker for more information about individualized insurance plans to suit their personal needs. One such contact is Phil Mishler, who can help navigate the options available under federal law, as well as direct you to other insurance products, including those that meet the requirements for international students.
Phil Mishler, Owner/Consultant
PA Group Insurance, LLC
4175 Hoffman Road, Hatboro, PA 19040
Ph 215-900-1163/Fax 215-827-5927
Required Coverage Specifics and Proof of Coverage Required for Students on International Student Visa
A student on international student visa, as well as his or her accompanying dependent(s), must have insurance which covers the student and all accompanying dependents for sickness or accidents during the time of the student's program. Minimum coverage must provide all of the following:
- medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- remains repatriation coverage of at least $25,000 per person covered
- coverage for expenses associated with medical evacuation to the international student’s home country of at least $50,000 per person covered
- deductibles that do not exceed $500 per accident or illness
- an insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements underwritten by (1) an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, (2) an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, (3) a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or (4) a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.
International students, see the link for international students through Good Neighbor Health Insurance and International Medical Group. Generate quotes for policies under the latter carrier here, under "Insurance for International Students and Educators."
In order to be enrolled at Westminster, F-1 and J-1 visa students need to provide proof of insurance for the academic year enrolled, including MERR coverage, to the International Student Advisor, on or before October 1 of each year.
For students currently enrolled in the student health insurance plan effective until July 31, 2015:
For detailed information on the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance plan benefits, to view a full policy brochure, or information on other insurance products (dental, vision and travel), contact Collegiate Insurance Resources at 1-800-322-9901 or online at www.cirstudenthealth.com/wts.
Helpful Hint: Should you purchase health insurance through Collegiate Insurance Resources, please be sure to refer to the plan as "PHCS Multiplan" in communicating with potential healthcare providers, not "BCS."