Health Insurance

Health Insurance

Westminster's Student Health Insurance: Policy & Program

(updated July 2013)

ALL FULL-TIME AND INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS are required to have health Insurance. As a convenience, all Westminster students at the Philadelphia campus are eligible to enroll in the Seminary-sponsored health insurance program.

As stated in the 2014-15 academic catalog:

"All full-time students are required to have health care coverage. International students on a J-1 or F-1 visa, in addition to the medical benefits required for all students, are also required to have Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains (MERR) coverage."  If a student chooses not to use the Westminster-sponsored plan, he or she must waive by September 30 (or February 15 for incoming spring students)with alternative health insurance coverage details here:

1. What Are My Options for Health Insurance as a Student at WTS? 

WTS works with Collegiate Insurance Resources to help provide affordable health insurance to our students. MERR coverage is part of this insurance plan. For information about the plan, to enroll or waive coverage, visit Collegiate Insurance Resources:

All full time students are required to purchase this health insurance plan or provide proof of coverage. Full time students will be billed automatically by the seminary if they do not waive coverage.

All other matriculated students are eligible to receive this coverage at a slightly higher cost. Additional costs apply for insured students wishing to enroll their eligible dependents. You will be prompted to pay online at the time of your enrollment.

For detailed information on the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance plan benefits, to view a full policy brochure, or information on other insurance products (dental, vision and travel) contact Collegiate Insurance Resources at 1-800-322-9901 or online at

Helpful Hint: Should you purchase health insurance through Collegiate Insurance Resources, please be sure to refer to the plan as "PHCS Multiplan" in communicating with potential healthcare providers, not "BCS."

Individual Health Insurance Plans

Students may visit the following website for more information about individualized insurance plans to suit their personal needs. A variety of price and coverage levels are available. Contact Steve Sayers at IDecideInsuranceQuotes or (888)786-1714 ext. 112 for information about individual or family policies.

Good Neighbor Health Insurance
Good Neighbor also has Student Plans available. See for more information (Click on "see contracted schools" in left sidebar, then on the WTS logo on the following page.)

2. Are there Special Plans and Requirements for International Students?

International Students on a J-1 or F-1 visa are required to have health insurance. In addition to the medical benefits described below for all students, international students are ALSO required to have Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains (MERR) coverage

Important! Please keep in mind that you will need to have insurance (or document on the waiver form that you have insurance coverage) and, if applicable, proof of MERR coverage, in order to be enrolled as a full-time Westminster student.

In addition to the seminary sponsored health plan, international students on a J-1 or F-1 visa can find a variety of plans to suit the requirements of their visas and to ensure proper coverage from Good Neighbor Health Insurance: (click on the WTS logo on the right side of the page).

3. Whom Should I Contact with My Questions about Health Insurance? 

Primary Health Insurance Contact:  All students who participate in the Westminster-sponsored plan will deal directly with Collegiate Insurance Resources.

Health Insurance Contact at Westminster: Lynette English, in the Student Affairs office, will answer general questions or refer you to Collegiate Insurance Resources or Health Benefits, Inc. She will also have available student insurance packets and other general information. She can be reached at (215) 572-3837.


Westminster Calendar