The repayment of all FFELP (Federal Family Education Loan Program), FDSLP (Federal Direct Student Loan Program) and Perkins loans may be deferred if a student is enrolled at an eligible institution at least half time with the purpose of gaining a degree or certificate. An eligible institution of higher education is one that has been approved by the US Department of Education. For a detailed description of Westminster's enrollment status criteria, please refer to the Enrollment Status Chart in the Financial Aid section of the Academic Catalog.
Many private student loans may also qualify for deferment, if a student is enrolled in a program of study. (Please check with the bank that holds your private loan for detailed deferment eligibility criteria).
Deferment forms can only be completed for the current semester or previous semesters where the student was enrolled. The enrollment status of a student in a future semester can not be certified on a deferment form.
If you have student loans from other institutions, please notify Westminster's Financial Aid Office. You wil be added to Westminster’s enrollment monitoring list on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) where your enrollment status wil be updated every two months. Your loan servicer will periodically check your enrollment status on NSLDS to ensure that your loans continue to be eligible for deferment.
To defer a particular government (FFELP or Direct) loan, please:
• On the appropriate deferment form (see below), complete the borrower sections and the section indicating where the form should be sent (usually this will be the loan servicer*).
• Submit the form to the Financial Aid Office (via mail, fax or in-person).
The Financial Aid Office will:
• Complete the Authorizing Official's Certification section of the deferment form
• Fax or mail the form to the appropriate location indicated on the form
Please note that for Perkins Loans deferment, forms need to be completed each semester.
*If you are not sure who is servicing your loan, you may access this information by logging on to the NSLDS website using your FAFSA pin. Other information you can access in NSLDS is your loan history, loan status (deferred, in repayment, in grace) and any outstanding balances on the loan.
To defer a priviate loan, please:
Contact the lending bank which can provide deferment information and any requisite forms to submit.
List of Deferment Forms
• FFELP and Direct Loan deferment form
• Parent Direct PLUS Loan deferment from (for parents who provided PLUS loans for undergraduate students).
• Perkins deferment form: deferment forms for Perkins loans vary. If you have a Perkins loan, please contact the financial aid office of the institution through which your loan was provided for the proper deferment form/procedures and the loan servicer.